BARKING DOGS, SCREAMING BABIES, SUPER LOUD MOVIES AND BLARING STEREOS STRESSING YOU OUT?
Believe it or not, there are several ways you can easily reduce apartment noise levels entering your apartment. The more items you have in your apartment that can absorb and soak up sound and the larger and heavier they are the better.
Carpeting and Rugs
These absorb sound from neighbours below as opposed to hardwood reflecting sound.
Wall hangings, tapestries and curtains
These make a big impact on reducing the amount of noise coming into your apartment while also adding a little bit of style to your home at the same time. Curtains or drapes are useful in reducing noise wherever they are located, whether it’s on a wall, over a window (to block out exterior noise) or simple placed across an open space in the apartment.
Appropriate Noise Levels – It’s a Two Way Street
The techniques listed above are excellent suggestions to reduce apartment noise but they wouldn’t even be necessary if you, your neighbours and everybody else in your apartment building were slightly more aware of the apartment you’re living in and the effect noise has on all of the tenants living there. you can be a more considerate neighbour by following these common-sense tips:
- Place stereos and audio equipment away from the walls that are shared with other apartment units
- Avoid walking in high heel and hard-soled shoes
- Use carpets or mats in areas where objects such as shoes and kitchen utensils are more likely to fall or be dropped
- Place felt cushions under chair and table legs to prevent them from noisily scraping across the floor
- Keep the volume of your computer and TV at reasonable levels, especially late at night
- Don’t wait until late at night to get started on your other noisy activities such as vacuuming, repairs and moving heavy furniture